Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Why I want to teach... like many of the students in our class, I have wanted to be a teacher for a long time. I love working with kids, and I find them to be very entertaining and honest (I think their honesty is what makes them so entertaining most of the time). I guess I really knew that I loved teaching when I started volunteering to teach Sunday school and Vacation Bible school for preschoolers at my church. I enjoyed planning each day’s lesson, and I found it very rewarding when a student understood the lesson and shared it with their parents. During my senior year of high school, I took a class called Introduction to Teaching, in which I learned a little more about the profession and spent three days a week teaching at an elementary school for an hour and a half. I was assigned to a second grade class during their reading and writing time. While I was there, I had the opportunity to lead one of the small reading groups and help students with their free writing. It was a lot of work, but I had so much fun talking to the students and helping them understand the stories and connect them to their lives. They had a completely different perspective of many of the stories we read, and I actually learned a lot from them during our meetings. I know that being surrounded by seven year olds everyday is very tiring, but it is something that I have enough energy for. I know that when I become a teacher, I will look forward to going to work everyday because I will be helping kids understand the world a little better, and they will do the same for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home